Saturday, March 12, 2011

Dance, learning, and life




The Practical

You may have noticed it's been a while since you've heard from me. This is partially due to the electricity situation: apparently now that it's summer the power is turned off in 90-minute intervals throughout the day for energy conservation. These are just the planned outages, there are random bonus blackouts on top of these. As you can imagine, this makes electronic communication sort of challenging.

This isn't the only reason I've been slacking on the computer, though. There are plenty of times that I have electricity and think maybe I'll write something but just can't summon my own power source and take a nap instead. Goodness gracious, how did I get so BUSY?

I think I am overdoing things a tiny bit. I am just acknowledging this, without any real plans to change anything for the next few weeks... because everything I am doing is just. so. cool. that I can't help myself. There are the basic non-negotiables: sleep, eat, meditate, bucket bath, etc. Then of course there's the yoga, which is why I am here. Our shala time is now 4:30am and I am taking about 2 hours to get through my practice. I could easily live a full life here just doing these things plus writing and resting.

But then there is Jayashree, Narasimhan, James, and Sindhu. Jayashree is a Sanskrit scholar and bright light of a soul who leads daily courses in chanting the yoga sutras in her house in town. Her cousin Narasimhan then expounds on their philosophy from his vast storehouse of scientific and academic knowledge and profound personal spiritual experience. I sit and absorb in awe. This is a few hours every morning. James is a long-time transplanted Brit doing an MA in Sanskrit. He is a master storyteller with an incredible voice, and he leads kirtans twice a week and teaches classes on the Bhagavad Gita twice a week. He's in another part of Mysore, and this is another few hours on those days. Sindhu is my dance teacher, and I am keeping up with her one hour a day here in Gokulam. It's a lot to be doing, especially with the weather getting so hot that even the Indians are starting to comment on it. But I only have a few more weeks here, and who knows when these opportunities will come around again? So I sleep when I can and I blog, um, casually.

The pictures today are all courtesy of Martina, who has the very sweet habit of sneaking pictures of me on her iphone when I'm not looking and emailing them to Pete so he can get a little glimpse of me every day. So here I am: patiently waiting for second breakfast at Tina's breakfast place (fenugreek rotis with tomato chutney, yummmm), posing as the Nataraj form of Shiva so James can explain its symbolism to us, listening intently to James saying something smart, sharing my post-practice coconut water with one of the street dogs who hangs out by the shala, and investigating a (flock? herd? swarm?) of bats from the roof of Anu's Cafe. Good times.

The Practice

I am finding practicing really, really fun these days. I wake up looking forward to going to the shala and picking up where I left off yesterday. I feel like a little kid going to the playground. It is still hard work and there are still things I struggle with, but I am watching my attitude shift completely away from getting frustrated with what I can't do to tuning into all the little victories and surprises. The system is really starting to make sense to me from the inside and I love it more every day. So that is cool.

Martina has been taking really good notes from the Sunday conferences and posting them on her blog, if you want to know what Sharath has to say for himself.

The Path

One of the themes that keeps coming up in the philosophical discussions around here is that life is all about learning. We are, each of us, consciousness learning about itself. Everything in samsara is ultimately for our enjoyment and our education, if we approach it with the proper attitude. Everything that happens to us is to teach us something. This, and a few other conversations I've had lately, have me thinking about the process of learning.

I was talking to someone who had taken the harmonium here. She said she showed up to class one day really struggling with something she had practiced until she was dripping with sweat. Her teacher said, "did you practice?" She said yes, I practiced so hard. He said, "did you do it 100 times?" She stared at him in shock, but he was completely serious. There is so much to be said for that. Just keep doing. And doing. And doing. Whatever you are trying to learn, whether it's play the harmonium or be a nicer person, just keep doing it. Way more times than you think you should have to.

Then I was talking with Sindhu about the process of learning Odissi. Some actual glimpses of dance are starting to emerge from our endeavors together and she was giving me encouragement. "First, you learn each of the pieces. Then, you learn how to put them together. Then, you practice until you can do it without any tension. Then, you learn how to make it beautiful."

Wow. This is certainly not the educational philosophy that was inculcated in me through the New Jersey public school system. But what if we approached everything in life like that? And why not, isn't that what life is for? Everything from dance to your daily routine to how you walk down the street to how you interact with other people to how you understand yourself... keep finding the pieces. Keep trying to fit them together. Keep practicing to do it with more ease. And keep trying to make it beautiful.

5 comments:

  1. What, that was really inpsiring, I love how Sindhu syntetized it!

    Wow girl, you do not blog often but when you do, you DO!!! hee hee

    Happy to hear you are enjoying going to the shala, even if you got to be too busy even for Mysore ! an accomplishment...

    Hope you get to tell us more about James' stories...

    When there is time... and electricity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "First, you learn each of the pieces. Then, you learn how to put them together. Then, you practice until you can do it without any tension. Then, you learn how to make it beautiful." Nice. Philosophy of learning and living. Jen, now that you have been blessed with this opportunity, bring back this wonderful energy so it can embrace the rest of us. Keep enjoying every moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi
    I have been trawling through blogs for information on Mysore and came across yours, really enjoyed reading. I go to Mysore for the first time in October. I was wondering how you find out about all these extra curricular classes, Sanskrit, Gita, chanting, Philosophy, are they advertised at the Shala?

    To be honest all the non yoga time was a worry in that I wondered what you do for the rest of the day, but if all this is going on I can see you are well occupied.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Globie,
    Sanskrit was at the shala. There is chanting at the shala too, it's actually included in your fees. The non-shala courses aren't advertised there but they are easy enough to find out about. Lots of stuff is advertised around places you will find yourself hanging out at - the coconut stand, various cafes, etc. And a lot of things just happen by word of mouth. For Jayashree and James people generally meet at the coconut stand and share rickshaws over there. You'll see. I showed up without a clue as to what I would be doing and stuff just falls into place. All is coming :)

    You might find this useful: http://earthyogi.blogspot.com/2011/01/claudias-guide-to-mysore-india.html

    Have a fantastic time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Jen,
    I'm counting down until my escape to Mysore.

    ReplyDelete